Thursday 3 June 2010

Whcih gadgets are really useful in business?

Watching assorted news items about queues for iPads in London this week I was reminded of all the really useful gadgets I've bought over the years. Each one claimed it would allow me to organise or improve my life, but with a few honourable exceptions such as my trusty ultra-lightweight laptop, they've generally fallen by the wayside. As a result I've become a bit of a Luddite in the last few years, refusing to jump on the latest bandwagon and making do with well-known technology. However, my life hasn't got any less busy and, like most consultants, I really do need to make use of any spare time when I'm travelling, if only to deal with the rising tide of email.

Having given in and acquired an iPhone though, I still have choices to make: Should I download an App to keep track of my time or stick with a notebook? Which of the dozens of news feed readers should I pick?  Would I actually use a to-do list or a business card scanner on my phone? I'm not sure of the answers yet, but I'd be interested to know which bits of technology you've found genuinely useful over the years. I think many consultants hold off investing in new technology for fear of wasting time & money - and it would be really good to share information about what really works. I've posted here some details of some technologies I've found useful  - why not add your thoughts on the best (or worst!) gadgets you've tried.

  • Laptops - couldn't be without one but much prefer a lightweight one I can tuck in my briefcase
  • Mobile Phone - actually I've barely used this till recently as my home office is in a signal balckspot - but have just acquired a signal booster from Vodafone which might change everything!
  • IPhone Apps - so far I've found these useful;
    • Magnifying glass - good for those who need reading glasses!
    • RSS feed reader - lets me see whats going on on Skillfair without logging in
  • Considering, but not sure about, business card scanner, voice to email, time recorder, to-do list

5 comments:

Stefan Drew said...

I'm a technophile and my business is largely builot around new technology that enhances business marketing ... BUT ... it is so easy to get bogged down with having to carry/check so many pieces of technology each day .. and check social networking sites .. and .. well the list goes on and no work gets done.

However I went to San Francisco before the iPad was launched in the UK and my iPad review can be read at http://www.stefandrew.com/stefan-drew/2010/05/apple-ipad-review-changing-the-way-your-customers-do-business-online----the-apple-ipad-refined-simplicity-and-great-fun.html

Is the iPad a worth buying? My answer is on the above site and has been published/read across the world ... now that is technology I do like

Mark Wing said...

I have just got an iPhone.

I have had Apple's for a while (computers, laptops, iPod, etc) but because the iPhone was on O2 and I was contracted to Vodafone (using a Sony Ericsson) I simply didn't get round to making the switch.

I now genuinely feel like it has taken me until this week to come into the 21st Century. And that is because... the device is so cool.

I now understand what people mean by Apps.

Apple have invented a whole new world of communication aids inside the iPhone. One which I think is as revolutionary as the arrival of the Internet itself, and as useful too.

While I agree with your sentiment. I am convinced this piece of technology will help to organise my life better. especially when traveling. ;)

Steve Bellerby said...

At Smith Bellerby we've been using BlackBerry for almost 10 years and find that it is one of the few "techie" gadgets that actually improves our ability to help clients, as we are never really out of contact.

When we moved offices 6 years ago BT managed to screw-up the transfer of our voice and data lines and we were left with the prospect of trying to carry on for 10 days without the ability to communicate. By using our BlackBerrys, we managed to hold things together until BT could finally put things right and most of our clients weren't even aware that anything had changed.

My one criticism of BlackBerry is that it can become addictive and you can find yourself replying to a client's email at 10 o'clock in the evening when you should be talking to your spouse (or at least watching the idiot's lantern...

Steve Bellerby
Managing Partner
Smith Bellerby

Heather said...

Lots of great apps for the iPhone but for business, I recommend Scan2PDF. Turns your phone into an instant scanner (using the camera), combine multiple scans into a single PDF, which can then be emailed.

Where it scores over a desk scanner for me is - when running a workshop - I can scan all the flip charts we've scribbled on and send a file of them to myself (& attendees if they want them) as a record of the workshop. Saves carrying reams of flips chart sheets home for transcription!

Unknown said...

I'm a Blackberry fan too and have ha done since they were first introduced. Like others, besides my Sony Vaio - I prefer substance over lightness - and my phone, I never go anywhere without my WiFi dongle - how else could you play WoW whilst on the rod?