Wednesday 2 September 2009

Hiding in plain sight - are you visible?

Like I suspect quite a few parents around the UK I've been mulling over the possibility of getting some extra tuition for one of my sons. After asking around it seems the web is the place to find a tutor and the process has been quite informative. There are a mix of directories, tutor agencies that are easily found - plus a handful of sites that just run adverts that take you to yet more directories.

Agencies are remarkably coy about pricing and you have to dig quite deep to find out what their T&Cs are (sound familiar?) but what struck me most of all was the variation in the profiles loaded by tutors on directories. Some were excellent, giving you a real sense of who the person was, where they would be able to help and whether they would be a good fit. At the other extreme there were a number of apparently local tutors with completely blank profiles - who have all missed out on a possible opportunity.

I know from my own experience that real life often gets in the way of loading uinformation on websites, I've lost count of the number I'm registered with and keeping them up to date can be very time-consuming - but if you've taken the time to register and paid for a directory entry (whether its as a tutor, a consultant on Skillfair or any other site) it does seem to be a real waste to leave your entry blank!

No comments: