Friday 30 July 2010

What makes a good article or blog post?

My request for small busines oriented articles last week generated plenty of offers of help, so thank you to everyone who responded. In the longer term we plan to make it possible for all members to publish their own articles on the site making Skillfair a richer source of advice, which will help boost your own website presence on search engines as well. 

A few people have asked if we have any editorial guidelines for articles - I'm reluctant to be too prescriptive as I know that things like length and amount of jargon depend very heavily on what you're writing about. But there are some key features that I think any article needs if it's to earn it's keep as part of your marketing effort - so I've written a brief article "What makes a good article?" - why not take a look and let me know if I've managed to follow my own advice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kirsten Tisdale said...

I agree with Gill about going straight to the horse's mouth. Since that advice has already been given, my tip is to make full use of institute memberships - I belong to a couple which give me access to various DataMonitor, Verdict and Keynote reports, academic and trade journal archives, and also research time - you are paying for these benefits, so use them!