Wednesday 25 March 2009

2 heads can be better than one

I was interested to hear about Skillfair member Rob Watling's experience of looking for someone to join their bid team. I often hear people say "I would have gone for that project but I think I'm too small/haven't got 3 years accounts/we're missing one small area of expertise' etc." so why not give co-bidding a whirl?

Rob needed someone with specific skills to bid with him on a piece of work - he advertised his requirements on Skillfair and in his words "We had 6 replies, 3 of them good enough to keep the details on file, and one of these good enough to include on this bid. So thanks. We wouldn't have been bidding otherwise."

Has anyone else had any experience of this?




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have looked at many potential tenders and thought that there should be some way to contact other people to form a team or put myself forward to be part of someone else's. Is there a section on the site where I can register such an interest or perhaps set up an alert to be notified when people are looking for team bid members?
Barbara Hankins

Gill Hunt said...

Forming a joint bid team is a good idea and more and more people are doing tis through Skillfair. If you post an 'Opportunity' it makes it clear to people that this isn't definite work. Just click on the Advertise Project button.

But you've made me think we could do a bit more - maybe a way for people to indicate they'd be interested in joining a bid team. Will have a think about how that might work!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Gill and I will look forward to hearing the result of your thoughts.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Barbara is absolutely right, and thank you Gill for indicating where people might advertise that they are willing to organise or form part of a team, when tendering for an opportunity.

I cannot know how many people are in the same space as me, where I have the capability to run or contribute to a project; but as a sole trader, lack the capacity. Some intuitive area where people like me (and Barbara) can highlight our prospective contributions would be very useful.

Unknown said...

Folks, having just rejoined and having experience in consortium based bid work I think it is almost a necessity to have a "contactFair" within SkillFair itself. What I mean is this: If I have the skills to respond to a tender from a tecnical perspective, I may not have the required contacts/relationships with suppliers for the hardware that I will need. In addition I may not have the bid process experience. So, it would be very beneficial for all concerned to pool resources on the more complex bids. Contractual agreements can be drawn up to protect the prime position from the secondary suppliers. Who knows, you may be secondary on the first one and then primary supplier on the next. It just gets better over time :-)