Tuesday 24 March 2009

Average consultant fee rates increase by 7.5%

I've just finished analysing and writing up the results of our 5th Anuual survey of consultancy fee rates. Slightly to my surprise the results show that rates are up 7.5% on this time last year.

Given that I've heard from consultants that there are newly self-employed people on the market willing to work for ridiculously low rates (£200 for 'management consultancy is surely silly!) has made me wonder what this really means.

A key factor that emerged in the survey is that most of our consultants do most of their work directly for clients - cutting out agencies and other intermediaries - and I think this may explain why the rates they're reporting are holding up so well. What does anyone else think?

Full survey results are here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was surprised to learn that rates are up 7.5% on this time last year.

Unfortunately for me day rates in the NHS have dropped like a stone, I am being quoted fees of £180 per day. To add insult to injury I am also expected to pay for my travel costs which can be quite expensive depending on distance travelled.
Barbara Hankins

Gill Hunt said...

That's dreadful Barbara - are those rates being quoted direct by NHS or through agencies? Is anyone else getting this level of downward pressure?

Anonymous said...

The rates are being quoted by agencies but I guess they wont have reduced their share which is why mine has been affected. Unfortunately, my contact for one large NHS Trust has moved on so I have not really had any alternative to using agencies.
Barbara

Rod said...

I find all the rates quoted are extraordinarily low.
In 10+ years of running an independent consulting business I have a clear rule - if the daily rate is less thsn £1000/day then the job is a "contracting" one - above that then it is truly "consulting"!

Gill Hunt said...

Good to see the fee survey results being picked up by assorted web sites;

www.onrec.com

HR Zone

TMC net

Hope it helps to counteract the downward pressure